Sunday, April 21, 2013

How many of you are also Jewelry Junkies???

In my post from yesterday I mentioned I had 2 special announcements to make. I will separate them into two different posts since they have absolutely NOTHING to do with each other.
 
Here is the first announcement (already posted on the forum so I'll just copy and paste here):
 
As some of you know from a few of my comments I am not only addicted to designer handbags but am also a huge jewelry junkie! I don't really wear much jewelry myself but I enjoy making them and selling them. But personally I hardly wear any jewelry at all except for my wedding ring.
 
I discovered the world of handmade jewelry about 5 years ago and started making them as a hobby. Initially I was buying the materials from JoAnne's, Michaels and Hobby Lobby but if you have ever been to those stores you will know the prices are ridiculous! The cost of the material alone was more than I could charge for the finished pieces so I really wasn't making any profit but that was ok at first because it was just a hobby not a business.
 
I was making jewelry because it was fun and also a type of therapy for me :). But since I don't really wear much jewelry, I was giving them away as gifts to friends and family. But then some of them suggested I sell them because I'm actually fairly good.
 
Let me just say that I DO NOT make jewelry from scratch. This means I do not make my own beads or findings. I buy the components and assemble them into finished pieces. One of my favorite things to do is buy lots of vintage jewelry and take them apart and use the parts to make a completely new piece of jewelry that is unique. These sold the best.
 
I was spending $1,000s for the materials from the retail stores and other beading stores I found but then I discovered I could buy them for much less from eBay so I did that for awhile and then discovered wholesalers in China so I started buying direct from the manufacturer.
 
The problem with buying from the manufacturer is that they require a minimum purchase so usually each one of my purchase was anywhere between $2,000 to $5,000 each buy and I was buying LOTS.
 
I can honestly say I have at least $50,000 worth of inventory at this time. They are all organized into containers and stored in the family room which I have sealed off as my crafting place. I also have HUGE Boxes of Beads and Findings and other Jewelry in my basement that hasn't even been opened.
 
In addition to making jewelry I also make hand painted mannequin heads for jewelry display and also sell materials. Since I buy in bulk I can sell them for way less than what you would pay from Michaels or even eBay.
 
For example I purchased a packet diamond shaped antiqued bronzed filigree findings that cost $4.99 for a pack of 2 pieces. I sell the exact same item for $2.99 for 50 pieces!!!
 
So if you are a jewelry maker than I can sell them to you at a huge discount especially if you buy in bulk. I was selling my products on Etsy, Bonanza, Artfire, Ecrater and a few other places and I was quite successful because I could not keep up with the orders.
 
It was wonderful having a hobby that I could actually make money on but with my job has become increasingly demanding and I am finding myself working very long hours so I was unable to ship orders in a timely manner and then I got addicted to handbags so I completely set my jewelry business aside and shut down all my shops.
 
Well I still have tons of inventory and I don't want to liquidate them because I still enjoy making jewelry and I would not get anywhere near what I paid for them so if I do decide to sell them quickly I would just list them as large lots on eBay which I have done in the past.
 
I filled a Large Flat Rate Priority Box with beads and findings or Vintage Jewelry or even Broken Jewelry for people who likes to use the parts to repurpose into a different piece. I sold these for anywhere between $100 to $850 per box depending on the contents.
 
Well a few of you have contacted me about my jewelry and some have posted on a few thread asking to see them.
 
I do not have the time to handle the amount of orders when I sold them on those selling avenues but I think if I sold them to a limited number of people like on my blog or a forum I could keep up with it and also I'd be able to communicate with my buyers through the blog or forum.
 
So last night I started working on creating a forum specifically for Jewelry Addicts. I didn't want to post them on the Rep Lovers United forum because it has nothing to do with Designer Items and I don't want people who are looking for bags to have to sort through a bunch of jewelry or supplies they have no interest in.
 
So I would like to know how many of you on here are also addicted to Jewelry? I have Vintage, Contemporary/Modern as well as unique pieces that I created myself. I also sell displays (i.e. jewelry displays and mannequins).
 
If you are a jewelry addict than please let me know and once the forum is up and running I will give you the link to where you can join. Registration will be automatically approved since the items are perfectly legal to sell.
 
If you are also a seller you are free to post your own items for sale as well. I would not charge you to post items for sale and as long as you are honest about the products there should not be any problems.
 
Even if you are not a seller you can still post your jewelry for sale and they can be new, pre-owned or vintage. There will be a category for each one.
 
It will probably take me at least a week before the forum is completed as I am having to do it on the side in between my work, my blog and the Rep Lovers United Forum so that is why I can no longer sell on a selling venue. I wouldn't be able to keep up with orders and people would get upset.
 
I am sorry for the long post but just wanted to make sure I covered everything here. If you are interested you can post here or email me so I can keep a count of how many people will be joining.
 
If there are not many interest I may do a little paid advertising but I prefer to keep the demand on the low to moderate side so I can handle orders in a timely manner.
 
Cheers!
 
Sarah

8 comments:

  1. I love making my own jewelry, I am a junkie. I do the same thing as you I order my stuff from china b/c it is ALOT of cheaper and I can make more stuff. I will be joining def.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, send me an email so I can put you on my list. I'm trying to get a count of how many people would be interested :).

      Delete
  2. Great idea! I'd be interested as well. But lately I've been wearing and buying a lot of rep jewelry, would that be a problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, that is not a problem! I don't have any rep jewelry to sell but you may find something you like. I have tons of all kinds and I will give the members of the forum a special discount :).

      Delete
  3. Oh this is great news! I am into anything crafty myself, and am looking into making my own jewelry to sell, but am still in the learning stages, collecting resources, etc... So please do count me in! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Myra, absolutely! I will make an announcement once the forum is LIVE or you can email me so I can add you to my list and let you know personally once it is up and running.

      I'm so glad that there are so many people interested, I think this is going to be so much fun :).

      Delete
  4. hi everyone, am probabaly posting on the wrong page,, its my first time reading blogs,, sorry...
    would like to know some feedback on the website 9starbag.com ...and which site can you recommend as the best for replicas,, im considering the Neverfull monogram and ebene.. any info will be helpful... my email add is catherinedbrown@ymail.com..


    also another question, have any of you tried travelling with your replica bags,, just want to have some insight if I use them for travel specially on the luggae stuff, a bit worried on the customs taking my stuff away...


    thanks guys

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. Have you open the your forum for Jewelry Addicts. I love make jewelry and have been doing it for years. Always bought the beads and things here in Iceland. Would like to see your selling item.
    Regards
    I.H.

    ReplyDelete